100g plain flour
100g wholegrain flour
1 medium free-range egg, plus 1 yolk, beaten
500ml semi skimmed milk
1 tbsp flaxeed/rapeseed oil
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
3 leeks, chopped
200g mushrooms, finely sliced
250g baby spinach leaves
2 tbsp reduced fat creme fraiche75g low fat cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large bowl, add the flour and make a well in the centre. Whisk the eggs and milk and pour into the well.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until smooth. Rest for 30 minutes.
- Whilst resting the pancake batter heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the garlic. Cook for just a few seconds then add in the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften and turn golden brown.
- Add the leeks and cook for a further 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the spinach leaves and cook until the leaves have wilted into the mushrooms and leeks.
- Mix in the crème fraiche and remove from the heat.
- To make up the pancakes, rub a 20cm frying pan with a little cooking oil and heat over a medium heat.
- Add a small ladle of batter, enough to coat the base of the pan, then swirl around the pan quickly until it covers the base of the pan.
- Cook for a minute until lightly coloured underneath, then using a palette knife flip over and cook for a further minute. Tip out onto a plate and place the pan back on the hob and continue to make 9 more pancakes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- Lay a pancake on a board and spoon a few tbsp of the prepared filling in the centre of the pancake.
- Add a tbsp of grated cheese and roll up.
- Place in a large shallow baking dish and repeat with the other pancakes, lying each pancake next to each other in a single layer.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake for 20 mins until golden.
Source of Fibre, Calcium, Iron, Vitamin C