275g (10oz) penne pasta
4 medium chicken breasts
450g (1lb) head broccoli, cut into florets
300ml white sauce
150ml reduced salt chicken stock
4 tbsps double cream or crème fraiche
Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
25g (1oz) butter, plus extra for greasing
1 small onion finely chopped
75g /(3oz) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs2 tbsps chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp chopped fresh sageFor the white béchamel sauce
500ml heated milk
1 pinch grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 190ËšC/Gas 5.
- Place the penne in a large pan of boiling water and cook for 10 min.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
- Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Blanch the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Melt butter in a pan and add in the flour. Cook for 3 min over medium heat stirring constantly. Gradually add in the milk and stir until smooth. Simmer for 10min.
- Add some grated nutmeg and set aside and keep warm until ready to use.
- Whisk the stock into the warm béchamel sauce and add the cream/crème fraiche.
- Simmer for a few minutes until you have achieved a thick pouring sauce, stirring occasionally — you should have about 500ml in total. Season with some freshly ground black pepper and enough lemon juice to taste.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the breadcrumbs, lemon rind and herbs.
- Cook for another 1 or 2 minutes until lightly coloured. Remove from the heat.
- Toss the pasta, cooked chicken pieces and broccoli florets together in a greased, shallow ovenproof dish that holds about 6 pints and is 5cm deep. Pour over the sauce to cover completely.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and the breadcrumbs are lightly golden. Transfer onto warmed plates and serve at once.
Energy: 335 kcals
Source of: Fibre, Calcium, Iodine, Folate
High in: Vitamin C