I mentioned previously that I was really hungry during my first trimester, so it was often a struggle to stay on track with the right foods when I was tempted to eat anything just to fill myself up! This lead me to look for healthy snacks –and let’s face it, there’s only so much fruit a person can eat in one day! I love baking and always try to make recipes a little healthier. I also love lemon drizzle cake – who doesn’t?! So these muffins provide a lemon hit for only 160 calories each. I’m not saying they’re super healthy, but they are made with rapeseed oil and natural yogurt rather than butter which makes them low in saturated fat. And they’re definitely a healthier once-a-day treat than a bar of chocolate. You could put some in the freezer so you’re not tempted to eat them all in one sitting!
Lemon Drizzle Muffins
Makes 12-15 muffins
100g wholemeal flour
100g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
Grated zest of 1 large lemon
125g pot natural yogurt
120g caster sugar
80ml rapeseed oil
50g icing sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sieve the flours, caster sugar and baking powder into a bowl. Add the lemon zest and mix well.
- In a jug beat together the yogurt, rapeseed oil and eggs. Add to the dry ingredients and roughly mix together. Don’t overmix or the muffins won’t be light and airy.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire tray.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon drizzle icing – mix together the lemon juice and enough icing sugar to make a thin pouring icing.
- Spoon over the cooled muffins and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition information per muffin: 158 calories, 6.9g fat, 0.8g saturates, 12.6g sugars, 1.1g fibre.